As part of our nod to International Women’s Day, we’ve taken the opportunity to talk to our very own Karen Cusick about her role at The Barnes Group, her career journey and her advice to other women considering joining the sector.
- What is your job title at The Barnes Group and where are you based?
I’m an HR Manager at The Barnes Group and I’m based in Rochdale.
- How did you come to work in the logistics industry?
Purely by chance – the company was located near to my home.
- How has your background helped influence your career at The Barnes Group?
My previous role was managerial. When I joined the company there were no female employees. My influence on the company definitely opened opportunities for more female employee roles.
- What would you advise to other women who might be looking to venture into the world of logistics?
Go for it, it’s not a man’s world!
- What woman inspires you the most?
No one specifically but women who have the ability to run a household, look after children and also work full time are certainly inspiring.
- What have you learned on your career journey?
To keep fighting for what you believe in.
- How do you see the role of women in logistics in the future?
Women are already in the world of logistics; they just need to stand up a little taller!
Here’s to Karen and the role she plays here at The Barnes Group – if you’re interested in a career at The Barnes Group, click here.